Bahasa Melayu |
Text size :
1. The Government of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, through the Department of Economic Planning and Development (JPKE), will be conducting the Household Expenditure Survey (HES) 2015/16 for Brunei Darussalam starting from 1 April 2015 until 31 March 2016.
2. HES 2015/16 is conducted under the Statistics Act, Chapter 81 from the Laws of Brunei Darussalam. HES 2015/16 is the sixth such survey being conducted in Brunei Darussalam. The previous surveys were conducted in 1977, 1987/88, 1997/98, 2005 and 2010/11.
3. The main objectives of HES 2015/16 are:
4. The coverage of the survey is on a sample basis only. Several areas in each district have been selected and only a number of houses and households from the selected areas will be chosen by random to be covered in the HES. Each household will be involved in this survey for a period of one month only. The survey requires a period of 12 months to take into account the variation of seasonal expenditures such as during festive seasons, back-to-school and school holidays. The selected households are required to record all daily expenditures by each member as well as the income received during the month.
5. JPKE has appointed survey officers who will visit the selected households to guide them on how to record their expenditures and incomes in the Household Record Book correctly and orderly. Selected households are reminded to ensure that the interviewers who come to visit them are those appointed by JPKE through their survey passes, appointment letters and identity cards. Households with dogs are also kindly requested to give their cooperation by holding their dogs on leash or in cage when the interviewers come to visit their households.
6. Results from the HES 2015/16 will provide an important source of information for national socio-economic planning. Key statistics derived is on average monthly expenditure per household in the country according to expenditure categories such as food, clothing, accommodation, transport, education, medical and other expenditures including expenditures abroad, loan repayments, and others. Apart from that, the HES results can also be used by other users such as the private sector, academians, researchers, students and the public for their respective needs and purposes.
7. Hence, the support and co-operation from all selected households in providing correct and complete information are essential for the success of the survey. JPKE would like to assure the selected households that the information collected during the survey will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for statistical purposes only.
8. For any enquiries regarding the HES 2015/16, please refer to JPKE as follows:
Telephone : 2230250 or 2230265 (working hours)
E-mail : email@example.com
Website : www.jpke.gov.bn.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the Household Expenditure Survey (HES)?
The Household Expenditure Survey (HES) is a survey conducted by the Department of Economic Planning and Development (JPKE), Prime Minister's Office which covers selected households only in the whole country.
2. What is the purpose of this survey?
The purpose of the survey is to collect latest and comprehensive information on the expenditure patterns and income levels of households in Brunei Darussalam.
3. When is the survey conducted?
This survey is conducted once in every 5 years. The previous one was in 2010/11.
The current HES has started on 1 April 2015 and will be conducted for a period of one year until 31 March 2016. The survey requires a period of 12 months to take into account the variation of seasonal expenditures such as during festive seasons, back-to-school and school holidays.
4. My household has been selected for this survey, but my neighbour is not selected. How is the selection determined?
The coverage of the HES 2015/16 is on a sample basis only. Several villages/areas in each district have been selected and only a number of houses and households from the selected villages/areas will be chosen by random to be covered in the HES 2015/16.
5. How long will my household be surveyed?
Each selected household will be involved in this survey for a period of one (1) month only. The selected households are required to record all daily expenditures by each member as well as the income received during the month.
6. My household was selected for a survey conducted by JPKE before. Why is my household selected again?
The selection of villages/areas as well as households is done systematically according to a random sampling procedure. Thus, there is some chance that the same household is selected again in future surveys.
7. Can my household be replaced with another household?
Once selected, your household cannot be replaced with another household.
That is why the cooperation from all selected households is required to ensure the information collected achieves the target coverage and quality to represent all the households in the country.
8. How is the survey conducted?
Before the start of the survey month, the appointed survey officers will visit the selected households to explain about this survey and how to make daily records into the Household Record Book (HRB).
During the survey month, they will make frequent visits to interview the household members and check on the daily record in the HRB. The survey officers will also assist if you have any problems in doing the daily record of expenditure and income.
9. How do I ensure that the survey officer that come to visit is the one being appointed by JPKE?
The survey officers will bring their appointment letters and the HES 2015/16 Survey Officer Pass. You may also ask to see their identity cards as confirmation.
10. Will my information be kept confidential?
The HES 2015/16 is conducted under the Statistics Act, Chapter 81 from the Laws of Brunei Darussalam.
The survey officers are required to take an oath to ensure that the information obtained will be kept confidential and will not be disclosed to any unauthorised persons.
JPKE will release the results of this survey in aggregate form only.
11. What are the uses of the results of this survey?
The results of the survey will provide the latest and comprehensive information on the expenditure and income of households. Comparison with the results of previous surveys will show the changes in the pattern of expenditure and levels of income of households in the country.
The results will also be used to revise the list of goods and services for the Consumer Price Index (CPI) to derive measures of inflation rate.
Apart from that, results from the HES can also be used by a variety of users including the private sector, scholars, researchers, students and the general public for their respective needs and purposes.
12. If I have any queries, to whom should I refer?
You may contact JPKE officers by telephone at 2233344 ext. 224, or 2230250.
You may also visit our website at www.depd.gov.bn or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2012 - 2016 Prime Minister's Office. All Right Reserved.
Powered by IT and E-Government, Prime Minister's Office, Brunei Darussalam